wallpaper

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Lady Engaged

"An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done." - Jane Austen.

It is unfortunate that a happily married, middle-class, employed woman would find herself disengaged and disatisfied; nevertheless, I have. In spite of the education bestowed on me by those wiser than I, the affections lavished upon me by my husband, and all the other countless blessings in my life, I am, in fact, bored. However, it turns out that if you Google "things to do" you can find some excellent suggestions including this helpful
post. In reading said post, I realized that these are activities I should already be engaging in - organazing the closets, decluttering the house, volunteering in the community, spending more time outside etc. Matthew and I are also working on saving money for our trip to Hawaii.

Thus the challenge: enjoy money-free weekends from now until our trip in November. To preserve the sanity of my husband, a few exceptions will have to be made. I will allow myself $20 a weekend for "emergencies." Any money not used one weekend can be carried into the next weekend. However, my main objective is to live fully with as little expense as is possible. My weekdays will be spent at my satisfactory if somewhat unchallenging government job, my weekday evenings will be spent cooking, cleaning, doing laundry and snuggling on the couch; and my weekends will be full of engagement at little to no cost! Then, as Jane says, "No harm can be done!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...