wallpaper

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Letter to the World

This is my letter to the world,
That never wrote to me,--
The simple news that Nature told,
With tender majesty.
Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me! - Emily Dickinson


There is something rather eerie to me about clicking on the "publish post" button, and sending my words out into the world wide web. In fact, blogging has always been vaugely unsettling to me. For one thing, my fear of writing is always that no one will want to read what I have to say. Secondly, there is something just a smidge egocentric about blogging. As someone who struggles with self-centeredness already, I don't need to set myself down a path of making it worse. However, I believe there is nothing wrong with writing because you want to even if no one reads it. Also, I know my mom will read it, and I can coerce my sisters to read it as well. My dad will likely read if for no other reason than to make snarky comments about my being a "cheapskate;" I prefer to think of myself as frugal. And as for making myself more self-absorbed, I am determined to blog responsibly and with accountability. I am asking mom, dad, coerced sisters, and anyone else who reads this to (privately) call it to my attention if my blogging ever becomes obssesive or down-right obnoxious. I hope it will never be necessary.

On to other things... (hopefully this blog will help me improve my segues)


The Greenville county library system is really fantastic! Until recently, Matthew has asked me to refrain from "borrowing" books due to my propensity to return them late and incur penalties. He figures (logically as ever) that if he's going to spend money on his wife's book obsession that we might as well have something to show for it. However, with our money saving becoming more intense, the library was really the only way for me to keep up with my reading. After promising to diligently return/renew all library books in a timely manner, I got permission to start borrowing again. The library website is extremely helpful and easy to use. Not only can you renew books online, you can request books, have them put on hold, and specifiy which the location most convenient for your pickup. Contrary to my childhood experiences, the librarians are actually friendly and helpful. And the downtown main library has a lovely little café that serves healthy, affordable food. It's halfway between my office and the church were my friend Beth works so we meet there twice a month to pick up (and return) our library books and eat some lunch. Last week they had a delicious whole wheat pasta dish. I have been hungry for it ever since, so last night I finally made up my own copycat version. It turned out great! Not only was it sugar-free, but Matthew loved it and told me to put it on the "make-again list." I am including the recipe here, but I can't post pictures of it because 1) we ate it and 2) our camera isn't working. I realize, therefore, that it is unlikely that anyone will actually make the pasta from this recipe. I personally never make a recipe if I don't first see a picture of it.

1/2 lb of whole wheat angel hair pasta
1 cup asparagus chopped into 1-2" pieces
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 pound of shrimp, peeled
1/8 cup + 1 TBSP olive oil
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
fresh cracked pepper

1. Cook and drain pasta according to the instructions.
2. Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, sautee aspargus in 1 TBS of olive oil for 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and cook another 2-3 minutes; season vegetables with sea salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add shrimp and cook until cooked through and pink.
5. Toss vegetables and shrimp with cooked pasta, olive oil and parmesan.
6. Top with extra cheese and fresh cracked pepper.

9 comments:

  1. "I personally never make a recipe if I don't first see a picture of it."

    Exactly what keeps Taste of Home in business! Of course, you always could have just googled for a random picture of pasta, posted it to the blog and no one would have been the wiser...especially since I can't ever get mine to look like the picture anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the same thoughts about blogging. I'm glad you're here, though. . . ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this. Reminds me why I love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you do with the other 1/8 cup of olive oil. I could only account for 1 Tbs in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebekah - I love Taste of Home. Although, their pictures aren't as glossy and tempting anymore. And I would never do anything so dishonest as to pass of a random pasta dish as my own.

    Bethany - libraries are wonderful! Are you liking the library system in your new city?

    Carrie - Thanks! I'm glad I'm here too. And thank you for all the encouraging words on your blog. I'm blessed each time I visit.

    Addy - you are so sweet! Thank you! I miss you. Let's get together soon!

    Mom - you pour the olive oil over the noodles. Thanks for pointing that out. I've corrected it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can make corrections, then you might want to go back to Normal Human Being and point out that your box of precious papers is under your bed and not under your bead. That would be a very small box indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth--remember where you said we were supposed to call you out if your blog got too self-righteous? Your response to me was definitely too self-righteous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for you for pointing that out, Rebekah. I don't really see it, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...