wallpaper

Sunday, September 21, 2014

One Dish Overnight Oats

I'm probably the last person on the internet to get excited about overnight oats, but I'm making up for it now.

In my determination to make a combination of oats, yogurt and milk that I liked, I have gagged down jar after jar of various ratios.



You're welcome.

Most of you probably already have your perfect version of overnight oats. But here is mine.

You will need:
1/2 cup of rolled oats
1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt
3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
2 tablespoon of chia seeds
squeeze of honey (optional)
fruit (not optional)

Grab a mason jar.  Because this is 2014 and mason jars are the must-have accessory when it comes to cute and trendy food.  Seriously, can you even eat chia seeds with a straight face if it's not out of a mason jar?

Pull out a 1/4 cup measuring cup.

Using your 1/4 cup measuring cup measure out your ingredients: 2 scoops of oatmeal, 1 scoop of yogurt, 3 scoops of almond milk, 1/2 scoop of chia seeds.

Done.

See what I did there?  One dirty measuring cup to throw in the dishwasher.  Math is awesome.

Put a lid on the mason jar and give it all a good shake.  Put in the fridge for at least 6 (and up to 24) hours.  Top with fruit and eat.



The result: a creamy, filling breakfast that takes only 2 minutes to assemble and dirties only 1 dish (not including the mason jar and the spoon).

It does takes 6 hours of forethought, which has resulted in some mornings of hazily thinking "I'm hungry...what's that two minute breakfast I like? Overni...oh rats."

I've never made more than a single serving at a time, so I can't personally speak to the results of making a bigger batch.  But if you eat breakfast on the go like we do; or your want something easy to eat while your kids nibble on peanut butter toast or Pop-tarts, this is a good one.

If you check out this link, you'll see that the internet is full of creative ways to dress it up - maple syrup, bananas, cocoa powder - but for now, I like it just like this.


Are any of you eating overnight oats?  How do you prepare yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...