wallpaper

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Breaking From Taxes to Talk About Cooking

"If you are what you eat, then I only want to eat the good stuff." - from Ratatouille


My mom made breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I'd do my algebra homework to the scent of bean soup and freshly baked bread.  Our mac and cheese was always homemade.  So naturally, by the time I moved out, I knew how to follow a recipe and make a meal.  And it was when I was cooking for myself tht I really learned to cook.


In our little kitchen with the ugly floor, my friend Beth and I would make food to our hearts' content.  And I realized that cooking means eating what you want.  Suddenly, I prefered my own food (or Beth's!) over most of what I could get at a restaurant. 

It's still true. 

For instance:
I've never really cared for ketchup.  So when I cook hamburgers, I halve cherry tomatoes and let them roast in the oven while the burgers are grilling.  Then, I mash the tomatoes with a fork and put them on my burger.  Oh, and I prefer burgers made from bison.  And with blue cheese.  With a side of carrot sticks. 

Jenn on Cooking Counts did a post on creating hibachi shrimp at home.  I tried it tonight.  Not only was it a fraction of the calories and half the cost: I got to make it exactly the way I like.  Lots of squash, even more onions, and slightly overcooked shrimp.  Matthew told me it was better than any restaurant hibachi. 


 I thought so too.

What do you make that is better than anyone else's?

6 comments:

  1. I don't know that I can say I have any wonderful dishes, but I prefer eating at home too. (most of the time) My mom made all three meals too, and so do I. It's a way to say I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in college and especially homesick, I'd just imagine I was eating my mom's pot roast. It always helped a little. It's a way of saying I love you that certainly stuck with me!

      Delete
  2. I also like that you can get good or better food for much cheaper than you would get at a restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mention the cost, but you are right! Sometimes we'll indulge in more expensive ingredients because of what we've saved eating at home, and that makes the food even better.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Absolutely! I've never had them better anywhere else.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...