wallpaper

Thursday, April 19, 2012

An Employee Engaged

If I could, I would blog about my job.  When people hear what I do, they usually make some kind of polite, sick face that implies, "Poor you."  But to tell the truth, I absolutely love my job.  I am one of those obnoxious people that look forward to Monday mornings.  I regal Matt with work stories at night while he is wearily removing his tie.  I make a point of eating in the lunch room - not just to save money but because I enjoy conversing with my co-workers.  And even on the most trying of days, people never fail to be people and give me a reason to smile. 


But the past two weeks have about taken it out of me.  Thousands of outstanding tax notices dating as far back as 2002 hit mailboxes last week, and our phone has not stopped ringing (except, of course, between the hours of 5:00 pm and 8:30 am, when, thankfully, our phones are turned off). 

I made a deal with my boss that I would pull his voicemails if he would deal with the bulk of the mail and faxes.  Last Wednesday, between the two of us, we had a total of 86 voicemails. EIGHTY-SIX!  That was just one day and doesn't include the voice mailboxes of the other three people in my department.

So while my heart has been full of things to share, I could hardly bear to look at a glowing computer screen when I was safely stowed away on my couch.  And then when I finally did have the strength to lift my eyes, I used the energy to type out an idea I'd been toying with for my novel.  I planned to send the finished result to Rebekah as a "Happy End of Tax Season!" present, but she e-mailed me and said she'd prefer chocolate mousse.  She's coming this weekend.  Maybe I'll make chocolate mousse for her to eat while she reads my newest chapter.

Please don't give up on me.  I had a special recipe for pound cake coming up, but I ate it all before I could take pictures.  That is what this tax season has done to me: turned me into a someone too lazy to take pictures or even pull out a plate before eating pound cake straight from the loaf pan.  So now, I will make another pound cake, take pictures, and share all the spongey, crumbly, butter goodness with you.  Soon.  I promise.

Hope your tax season is ending more easily than mine!



3 comments:

  1. Awwww! Poor you. I'm so thankful not to have to deal with tax stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe a fun lunch next week would defray a little of the craziness?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...