wallpaper

Monday, February 16, 2015

You've Got Mail!


Beth and I met our freshman year of college.  Depending on who you're talking to, we met either first semester between piano lessons or the next semester in freshman speech.

We were seated next to each other in freshman speech, and she said "Hi, I'm Beth."

Stricken, I stared at her.  "I know who are.  My piano lesson is right before yours."

I still give her a hard time about not knowing we were already friends, and she talks about thinking I was a crazy stalker.  I prefer to think I was a friendly stalker.  Crazy friend?


We became the kind of friends that being in speech class together creates.  Four years, lots of coffee, laughs, heartache, and two diplomas later, we took jobs at the same music school and moved into a house together.  That summer we both supplemented our teaching jobs with babysitting, and the family Beth worked for bought her a pool membership.  We spent every weekend of that sticky, South Carolina summer at the pool reading novels, drinking La Croix and listening to the You've Got Mail soundtrack.  To this day I can't hear Dreams by the Cranberries without smelling suntan lotion.

When Beth got engaged, I knew I had to throw her a You've Got Mail bridal shower.

In the name of research, I watched You've Got Mail.  Then I armed up with some custom typed prints, cookies, and a few special decorations.

I couldn't find a craft mailbox anywhere, so I bought a regulation-sized mailbox at Home Depot.  It came in handy for Christmas decorating too!  Now I'm trying to figure out how I ever decorated without one.


The print-outs were downloaded from Etsy. I put them in assorted frames I had, and displayed them on that bird stand and a couple stacks of books.  The little gift box and napkins are from Target.  


No You've Got Mail event would be complete without a typewriter, daisies and a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils.

I am a lone reed.

The cookies were custom ordered from my favorite local bakery Bakery Off Augusta.


Congratulations, Beth!


My friend Rachel took the beautiful photos.  Go check out her blog The Hippie Homestead.

10 comments:

  1. Oh. my. gosh. I love this!!! Those printables...the bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils...and those cookies! What a great idea! I hope you had some eucalyptus candles so your apartment smelled moss-ey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about smelling mossy! I actually loved the bouquet of pencils so much, I moved it to my desk and kept it.

      Delete
  2. I've always admired you for your creativity. :) that theme is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Holly. :) I had a lot of fun planning it.

      Delete
  3. Best movie of all time! I'm a little bit jealous;) did you serve cappacino and Caviar garnish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good movie! I wracked my brain trying to come up with a way to serve a Caviar garnish - such a classic. But I couldn't work it in. We did have coffee, though. However people wanted it, obviously.

      Delete
  4. Visiting from Whitney's blog....what a cute shower theme. You've Got Mail is one of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...